01. OpenShipping.org’s mission is to collaboratively establish open source standards and frameworks for the purpose of enabling and fostering digital innovation within the global shipping industry.
OpenShipping.org membership is open to all carriers, shippers, forwarders and service providers in the global container shipping industry.
- Any individual or company can register as a member of OpenShipping.org by completing the registration page on OpenShipping.org’s website. By registering to be a member of OpenShipping.org, the member agrees to be bound by the Charter and terms and conditions of OpenShipping.org. (OpenShipping.org may publish a list of members from time to time).
- Any member will comply with the OpenShipping.org Code of Conduct,
- Any member of OpenShipping.org, can use the standards and frameworks produced by OpenShipping.org,
- Any member may propose changes, additions or deletions to the standards and frameworks produced by OpenShipping.org.
03. Steering Committee
The Steering Committee will oversee the operation of the OpenShipping.org. Responsibilities of the Steering Committee include;
- Approval of member proposed changes, additions or deletions to the standards or frameworks by simple majority vote of the Steering Committee.
- Establishment and maintenance of a Code of Conduct to facilitate the effective operations of OpenShipping.org and the members. Establishment and maintenance of the Code of Conduct will be made upon a two thirds majority vote of the Steering Committee.
- Establishment and maintenance of a Steering Committee Charter to facilitate the governance of OpenShipping.org. Establishment and maintenance of the Steering Committee Charter will be made upon a two thirds majority vote of the Steering Committee.
- Appointment of a Chair of the Steering Committee who will be responsible for calling for meetings of the Steering Committee and who will be responsible for managing communications from the Steering Committee to the members. Appointment and removal of the Chair of the Steering Committee members will be determined by a two thirds majority vote of the Steering Committee.
- Appointment and removal of Steering Committee members will be determined by a two thirds majority vote of the Steering Committee.
- Any issues that cannot be resolved by the Steering Committee shall be referred to the Society of Maritime Arbitrators in New York for resolution by arbitration.
Actions of the Steering Committee may be taken at in-person meetings, via conference call, or through electronic means, including email.
OpenShipping.org will host Workshops for members to contribute to that are intended to accelerate its mission.
- Members of OpenShipping.org will be able to communicate with other Members through the comments features on OpenShipping.org’s website,
- Steering Committee of OpenShipping.org will be able to communicate to other Members through the Announcements Page of OpenShipping.org’s website.
- All Members shall comply with all applicable laws and regulations, including but not limited to the laws of the United States of America, the laws of European Union and the laws of Greater China.
- All Members of the Steering Committee who are carriers must be signatories to, and comply with, the US Federal Maritime Commission Agreement 201235. (This is the Agreement by Ocean Common Carriers to use Standard Service Contract Terms since API standards for contracting will be established by OpenShipping.org).
08. Use of Intellectual Property
OpenShipping.org grants its Members permission, free of charge, to obtain a copy of the standards and frameworks provided by OpenShipping.org, and the associated documentation. Permission is without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell.
09. Contribution of Intellectual Property
THE STANDARDS AND FRAMEWORKS ARE PROVIDED BY OPENSHIPPING.ORG "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE STANDARDS OF FRAMEWORKS OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE STANDARDS OR FRAMEWORKS.